Skip to main content
Hello Lovelies!! As always TTT is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and you should check them out because they're pretty freaking great. This week's prompt is a Reading Wishlist -- y'know the things we wish we could read about more often.

1. Other types of relationships!

As you all know, I am so. over. love triangles! Or love angles as my friend reminds me they'd be more accurately called. I want single devoted relationships; I want polyamorous relationships; I want relationships that are strictly platonic! BRANCH OUT FROM THE NORM.

2. More believable world building!

I'm thinking worlds I can believe in. I'm talking Harry Potter with muggles and multiple schools and whole undiscovered parts of regular cities. I'm talking The Knife of Never Letting Go with Spackles and semi-familiar landscapes full of treacheries. I don't want lame pseudo-different places. The Maze Runner series sounded so promising but "shuck" came off as false and the world had more problems than answers! I want believable places I can escape to, not ones where I'm constantly being pulled out of the book by distracting contradictions.

3. More obvious diversity!

I don't want repeats of The Hunger Games issue with every book-to-film adaptation. Authors can be "delicate" about race or they can be blunt. When they're delicate, it turns out nobody pays attention!! Or at least not the white people in charge of creating and casting a film franchise. I want authors who are blunt! I want authors to come out and say, I'm black; I'm Japanese; I'm Korean; I'm Caribbean. I want authors to describe skin tone in detail! I want diversity in my books. Because I want people to remember that there's diversity in life.

4. More failing at adult life!

Reading has prepared me for almost everything in life. It did not prepare me for graduating from college and trying to be an "adult". It didn't prepare me for heating bills upwards of $200 dollars when I still felt closer to an icicle than a human being. It didn't prepare me for having to cook every day and lighting the stove on fire three times. It didn't prepare me for job application after job application and being let go because of "company downsizing" or whatever. It didn't prepare me for parents who are trying to be helpful but just come off as disappointed every time you talk even when you do love your life! It didn't prepare me for the realities of dating, i.e. it isn't easy; it might not happen; you're still going to have crushes on coworkers who don't want anything to do with you. 

5. More supportive BFFs!

I've been best-friends with the same woman for over a decade. Our friendship isn't going anywhere. Sure we might get annoyed with each other now and then, but we always come back together! And no matter what I want to do, she's behind it. And no matter what she wants to do, I'm behind. Why are there always jealous girl friends and back stabbing?? That doesn't happen all that often in real life!!

6. More foreign settings!!

To be fair, this is partially my fault because I'm sure books like this are out there (I was just looking at a few by China Mieville today!) but I want more of them. I want books in France (I loved Anna and the French Kiss!!) and books in Germany and books in Kenya and books in St. Maarten and books in Poland!! I know that Americans aren't the only people in the world! Let's provide well researched books that prove it!

7. More stand-alones!!

I love series. But I get burned out on series!! It's tiring to have to dedicated a lot of time and memory space to series. I don't feel quite as burned out now that I'm doing the prequels & sequels challenge, but when I suggest things at work, I would like to be able to offer at least a couple stand-alone options!!

8. More people making good choices for bad reasons!

It's irritating when you can see a character make a choice and they're just being dumb about it. At least when they make a bad choice for a good reason (i.e. sacrificing yourself for your family) it makes sense. But there's too much of that! Give me more books where people make "good choices" for bad reasons! Give me more books where people abide by rules because their parents say so. Give me more books where people go to college because society tells them to even though they don't want to!

9. More World War I books!

I get that WWII was terrible, and it needs to be permanently seared into our brains. But World War I was not good either. And I know more about WWII than I do WWI just from default of reading novels about WWII! I don't see many Revolutionary war books either, but at least there are a few. I guess I just want history books outside of WWII and the 1920s (which are having a big insurgence right now).

10. More contemporary books about something other than romance!

There's a lot going on in life! It's not all about the perfect guy. Talk about applying to colleges and trying to graduate high school without losing your soul. Talk about road trips and late night silliness. Talk about being a part of a team. It doesn't need to be dating!!

What do you want to read more of?? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. I've seen #4 on several lists, which is so interesting to me. I don't remember struggling with these issues, really -- maybe because I got married at 21 and boom, suddenly I was an adult! I can see why this would be an interesting subject for both fiction and non-fiction. Good luck finding them!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...