Skip to main content

Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubinstein is a novel that I love when I was younger.  For one of my classes, I was required to reread a novel I remembered from my youth, and during discussion this book came up. I loved this book when I was in elementary school. I was a little surprised to see that it's recommended for kids 12+ because I definitely read it when I was 8 or 9. That's pretty typical for me though.

Galax-Arena is about three siblings: Peter, Joella and Liane. They're kidnapped by a man named Hythe and taken to an alien planet called Vexak. There they are forced to perform for aliens called Vexa in an acrobatic troup that performs in the Galax-Arena. They are not the only children in the Galax-Arena. There are many children from all across Earth. They've cobbled together a language and a means of living, but their entire life centers around performing in the Galax-Arena--and in surviving each performance.

As I was rereading this book, I was surprised at how much I had forgotten. The premise had stayed with me really well. I was shocked by this book in my youth, and it would reoccur to me every so often that this book exists. Rereading it made me so aware of why I identified with Joella. She's not athletic and she's ostracized because of it. That is exactly what I was like when I read this book.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi/fantasy stories. It's a short book, and it's compelling enough that it's a quick read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...