Skip to main content

I Ain't Calling You a Truther


Liar by Justine Larbalestier is complicated and wonderful. I saw it about a year ago when I was working for a bookstore. We were having a hard time selling our copies, and I didn't think it sounded that great. Then I saw it on a post for diversity in fantasy, and I was like, whaaaat??

So, for those who are extremely anti-spoilers, maybe stop reading. This is definitely a book where the less you know going in, the more twisty-turny the plot seems. 

Micah's friend, Zach, has been murdered. Micah is a compulsive liar. She'll lie about anything and everything. Micah and Zach were a little more than friends. Now, Micah promises to tell the reader the truth. And as she unravels the lies, her story becomes more and more unbelievable. Until finally, you find yourself walking a thin lie between believing her and believing she's nothing but a liar.

This is the first single novel I've read of Larbalestier's. I read the entirety of Zombies vs Unicorns which she co-edited and contributed a short story to, but I've never read one of her novels. It was fantastic. It took me a little while to get into it. Because I knew one of the "reveals" before hand, I was waiting impatiently for it to happen in the book itself. Finally about a third of the way through, I got my wish, and then things picked up for me. 

I love the format of this novel. It alternates between different subheadings, I guess for lack of a better term. There's Before Zach's death, and After. There's School History and the History of Me (Micah) and Family History. I loved it because I love non-linear plots. If authors can pull it off, it's one of my favorite devices to push a mystery, and Larbalestier pulls it off fantastically. Her writing is beautiful. She perfectly details the life of a liar or at least what I imagine from the few lies I've told. I'm a bit ashamed to admit, I rarely lie. I just don't see the point. However, Larbalestier create's Micah's lies so flawlessly that I understand why Micah lies. And even though Micah is, in many ways, a terrible person, I find myself rooting for her.

Also, I was ecstatic about the diversity in this novel. I mean, check out the cover. For once, an almost 100% accurate model of the main character: Micah is at least 25% African-American. She's described as more androgynous (she passes as a boy for a solid two weeks). Her hair is curly and cut short. She's also bisexual (or pansexual, depending on your terminology). Most of the other main characters are people of color, and there's several mixed race relationships. Zach is hispanic. Micah's mom is predominantly white, while her father is black. Micah's grandmother is white, her grandfather (who admittedly doesn't feature in the novel itself) was black. It's delightfully and accurately diverse. They live in New York City, and unlike many films set there, it seems to be close to how varied the people living there actually are. 

I've been thinking about Liar since I finished it. I can't get it out of my head. And that's what I love the most. Books that stick in your mind even as you fill yourself with other stories. It's not quite a new favorite for me, but I am so glad I read it.

I would recommend this book for readers who enjoy books with unreliable narrators. 

Favorite Quotes: I'm undecided, stuck somewhere in between, same way I am with everything: half black, half white; half girl, half boy; coasting on half a scholarship. I'm half of everything.

I don't read, but I do like libraries. I like order, and libraries are all about order. Every book has a place.

It's because grown-ups don't remember what it was like when they were teenagers. Not really. They remember something out of a Disney movie and that's where they want to keep us. They don't like the idea of our hormones, or that we can smell sex on one another. That we walk down the halls thick with a million different pheromones. We see each other, catch a glance, the faintest edge of one, that sends a shiver through our bodies all the way to the parts of us our parents wish didn't exist.

I wonder if I would have loved his lungs, his voice box, his pancreas if I'd seen them nestled safe within him. If you love someone, do you love all of them?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t