Skip to main content

Inherited Passion


Heir of Fire is the third book in Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series. 

Heir of Fire finds Celaena in (self-imposed) exile and struggling with depression. Celaena needs to find the third Wyrdkey, but she can barely make herself move from the sun-warmed roof. Chaol struggles with the truth of Celaena and his agreement to his father even while he works to protect Dorian. Dorian wants to hide his newfound magic. And then there's the newest viewpoint: a dark witch attempting to live up to her grandmother's expectations.

I simultaneously loved and hated Heir of Fire. I loved seeing Celaena struggling with her actions in the past. I love seeing consequences to actions in books. And I think Celaena's spiral into depression and self-hatred was incredibly well-done. I wasn't entirely sure about the introduction of Manon, but I ultimately found myself really liking her. I think Maas does an excellent job of introducing a "bad" character and then chipping away at their layers to reveal the goodness underneath. I was less than thrilled about Rowan. I love Chaol. I love Celaena and Chaol. I don't want this to be another series like Tamora Pierce's Hunt Records where suddenly the love interest changes. BRING ME CHAOL.

Anyway. Overall, I really enjoyed this addition to the series. It definitely ended at a point where I was like, uhhhhh how long do I have to wait for the next book??? For those of you who haven't yet picked up this series, I would recommend doing so soon. The fourth book comes out in September, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Recommended for fans of high fantasy and strong female protagonists. 

Favorite Quotes: There was nothing left in her, not really. Only ash and an abyss and the unbreakable vow she'd carved into her flesh, to the friend who had seen her for what she truly was.

There was no getting up, because there was not bottom. 

Why do you cry? Because I am lost [...] and I do not know the way.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...