Skip to main content

Award Committees are Hard

Hi friends...

It's been a long while since I've posted. I did my book reviews this last year on my facebook because it seemed easier at the time. I've been slacking on reviewing books. I think because I spend so much of my daily life recommending the books I've read to students. I love my job. I love that I get to talk to teens about what they're interested in and try to match that to a book that will make them eager to have a few minutes of class time to read their books.

Maybe that's why being on an award committee is hard for me.

Last year, I was a reader for a smaller, local award. I only had to read four books. I was asked not to talk about them until the award had been awarded. That was still kind of hard. I wanted to complain about the one I thought was too didactic, to bemoan the one that had such an incredible idea but had been pseudo-self-published and would have been so so much better in the hands of a professional editor and agent, I wanted to talk about how interesting the one was that brought in legends I was unfamiliar with.

This year I've been lucky enough to be on a national awards committee. I love reading for a purpose. When I'm reading for me, I get distracted. I ramble. I pick books up and put them down. I get excited about one so I desert another a scant few chapters in. But for this award, I have an obligation. I know that I'm looking for a book that will blow me away. A book that will express the pieces and parts that make up the human experience. I want to find a book that I immediately want to start reading again as soon as I finish it.

I like to give books a chance. One of my favorite books took me until chapter fifteen (Wuthering Heights in case you were wondering) to fall in love with it. And everytime the beginning of a book doesn't wow me, I think of Wuthering Heights. I like to give books room to breathe and to establish themselves. It's easy to immediately strike something. It's harder to give a book a chance. And I've been giving so many chances. I've read nearly 50 books for this committee already this year (more or less over the last 3 months, actually). I love reading across genres and from pictures books up through young adult novels.

I hate not being able to talk about what I'm reading.

"But, you can talk to the other committee members, right?"

Sure! I can! But it's a virtual committee. I barely feel like I'm getting to know a few of them from brief comments and reactions. I spend my day talking face-to-face. For me, talking isn't just words. It's body posture, it's energy, it's face journeys. I want to talk about these books like I do with my co-workers. Where we talk about the ways they've made us different people. A little over a year ago, I started watching kdramas because I read Maurene Goo's I Believe in a Thing Called Love. Now I primarily watch kdramas, I get a Korean snack box, I have two different kpop group's sweaters and I do all the kbeauty steps. Her book, weirdly, made me a healthier person--at the same time that it gave me an interest that no one in my friend group shares.

This might sound pathetic but books have created every inch of me. The fact that I sing my niece songs about food comes from Eric Carle's Today is Monday  My environmental anxiety probably comes from my childhood obsession with Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House. My soul is littered with the remnants of books from my childhood. Some so strong in feeling but faint in remembrance that I can remember exact illustrations but not the name of the books. I got a master's degree in books because I don't know how to live without them. The worst time in my life is marked in my mind by the lack of books I read. Some days reading is what keeps pushing me forward.

Reading is how I make connections with other people. I will absolutely judge a person on their favorite book. I'm trying to make the shift away from "you haven't read that???" to "lucky you that you still get to read that for the first time." but it's still a shock to my heart when people tell me they haven't read something like Harry Potter (which created so much of me that I still sometimes am like, where did that come from?, oh yeah all roads lead back to Harry Potter...). I connect through the shared experience of stories.

And right now, I feel like I can't connect. It's killing me to sit on the wonderful stories I've read. Of course, not all of them are going to match what someone is looking for. Not every book is going to appeal to every person. And I can walk circles around my own feelings about a book and still recommend it : "oh, I've heard it's really good!" "oh, it's got x, y, and z that you said you liked!"

After all, I'm a librarian.

But it's hard to not be able to talk about what I'm reading. To not be able to say, yeah I read that book this weekend and it was really good, you should pick it up. Or to say, eh that book was hyped up so much and turned out to be just kind of meh. Or that book was really boring or terrible or confusing. I'm a person with a lot of opinions. And now I have to keep them to myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t