Skip to main content

Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer is a fantastic middle-grade noir-esque detective tale. Colfer starts the book a little heavy in the noir language, but gradually the voice morphs to that of an actual ten year old. It totally makes sense to me because often I'll still find myself (at 23!) narrating my life in whatever style I'm currently hung up. Fletcher Moon is a ten-year old who is determined to be a private detective, obviously at some point this decision was affected by some type of detective noir movie or book.

Fletcher gets entangled in the biggest case of his life because he dares to stand up to one of the biggest bad kids in town: Roddy Sharkey. Roddy's brother Red is an even worse kid and Red steals Fletcher's badge. Fletcher wants his badge back, so he agrees to investigate Red for a girl in 5th grade, April.

I had started reading this book a couple years ago, but at the time, I was turned off from the language in the beginning chapters. This time, I was more prepared, and I kind of really enjoyed it. Plus the more trouble Fletcher gets into, the less he tries to play the hoity toity type of detective and the more gritty real-life he gets. It's an interesting reflection of life in that the more we actually get involved with living the less likely  we are to narrate our own lives in our head (what's that say about my life?).

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I'm sure I'll recommend it in the future to people looking for a semi-easy mystery/detective read. This was a fantastic start to Middle Grade March.

Quotes: "For too long boys and grown-up boys have ruled this earth and made a mess of politics and ozone and stuff. For too long us girls have been not listened to by males, even our dads and brothers and people who should know better."
" We will be prime ministers and managing directors and partners in law firms and owners of music stores that ban heavy metal and stuff with skulls."
"We were conspirators on an adventure. Life was dangerous; you took your smiles when you could."
"You could have hear a potato chip crunch -- but didn't because this drama was more absorbing than any snack."


Middle Grade March Count: 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t