Skip to main content
Hello Lovelies!!

I was pretty sure that it was a requirement for book bloggers to hate the dichotomy of "boy" books and "girl" books that society has imposed, but I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong.

I'm sure if I did some research, I could find out exactly when and where and why (oh my god whyyyy) there became a split between books that girls could read and boys could read. Anyone with sense would think that as society became more progressive, this dichotomy would disappear, but alas that's not the case. In fact, from what I see daily, it's only gotten worse. There's Doodles For Boys (full of spaceships and dinosaurs and monsters) and Doodles for Girls (full of unicorns and princesses and fashion). There's the Dangerous Book for Boys and the Daring Book for Girls. There's Classic Stories for Girls and Classic Stories for Boys.

JUST STOP IT.

Stop enforcing gendered expectations on children! Girls can (and do!) like robots and superheroes and dinosaurs and cars and toolboxes. Boys can (and do!) like princesses and dancing and unicorns and fashion. Stop telling people what they can and can't (and will and won't) like.

Maybe by now you're saying, duh Hayley. We've got this. We don't say these things.

But just two days ago, I read a book review where that's exactly what the blogger said. I don't want to point fingers and fling accusations. But I do want people to be aware of what they're saying.

Of course, now you're thinking, but it makes sense to say that this book would appeal more to boys or to girls! But it doesn't. Perhaps it's become a little like the old chicken and egg thought process. What came first, the penchant for boys to like adventure stories or the recommendation of adventure stories for boys? Is it nature for all girls to love romance stories or are girls just repeatedly told that they'll love any romance story?

Or maybe you're thinking, well boys need to be super interested in a book to read and boys don't read as much as girls and we really need to put forth a lot of effort to get boys to read. Nope. I say noooooooooo. And as super scientific addendum to that, I'd like to direct you to this Tumblr post.  As usual, men (or in this case boys) come out ahead of women (or girls). We're so concentrated on "getting boys to read" that we pretty much refuse to acknowledge that girls can also struggle to connect to reading.

I would like to instead switch from saying "girls will love this book!" to "People who love romance and character-driven stories will love this book!" The latter has the added benefit of acknowledging people who fall outside of the girl/boy dichotomy as well. (Which is definitely a rant for another day because my god how often do we just separate between boys and girls with no other options??) I would like to focus on getting children to read: of all ages, of all genders.


So that's my rant for today. What do you guys think? Is it necessary to say boys/girls will love this book? Am I in crazy town?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t