Skip to main content

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.


Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun might be the best book I've read this year, and I've read some damn good books in the last ten months.

Within the first ten pages, I knew I was going to love this book. Noah is an incredible character (as is Jude, but the first chapter is from Noah's POV). Alternating POVs can be tricky, but Nelson excels at distinguishing the two characters in this book. The story alternates between the views of twins Noah at age 13 (going on to 14) and Jude at 16. The twins used to be super close but during Noah's time they're beginning to fall apart. By Jude's time, they barely even talk to each other.

I'll Give You the Sun is about trust and love and betrayal and knowing exactly what you want to do with your life and not being able to do it. But ohmygosh is it about love. It's about love in every expression: sibling love and parental love and love when you don't want it and love when you do want it.

I finished I'll Give You the Sun and immediately wanted to pick up any other books Nelson had written. I was excited to see that this wasn't her first novel, but I was also disappointed to see that there was only one other book of hers I could read!

This is a great book for people who like character driven novels. I would consider it contemporary fiction,but I think that even if contemporary fiction isn't usually your jam, you should give it a try.

Favorite Quotes:
"If Mom died, the sun would go out. Period."
"There's a crawlspace in me that no one can get to, no matter what."
"No woman can resist a man who has tidal waves and earthquakes beneath the skin."
"They do make love stories for girls with black hearts after all. They go like this."
"'Maybe we're accumulating these new selves all the time.' Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...