Skip to main content

TBT: Mandy


When I was in probably third or fourth grade, my parents bought my stepsister a book to read. This wasn't that unusual. My sister and I were both avid readers, but my stepsister was less into reading. She would do it if she found something she loved, but she didn't enjoy the act of reading itself like my sister and I. She might have tried to read this book, I'm not sure. What I do know is that I saw it on her dresser and asked if I could borrow it. And to be honest, I'm not sure I ever gave it back. 


That book was Mandy by Julie Edwards. Now it's more likely to be found under the name of Julie Andrews Edwards. Because it's written by Julie Andrews who most people know from her roles as Mary Poppins, Maria, or Queen Clarisse Renaldi.

Of course, I didn't know that at the time. (In fact, I didn't realize it until a few months ago, when the bookstore I was working at got copies in with the Julie Andrews Edwards author name. I thought Julie Edwards was just a writer. I was totally oblivious.)

Julie Andrews Edwards, for those of you who aren't aware, is actually a fairly prolific author. She writes primarily picture books and middle grade books. Mandy is the only book of hers which I've read. But I loved it. 

Mandy was my Matilda before I saw (and read) Matilda. There's no magic in this book. And while I think Mandy does read, she's not a child prodigy like Matilda. Mandy is an orphan. And one day, she goes over the orphanage wall, and she finds a little deserted cottage. And painstakingly she makes that cottage her own. She decorates it and cleans it and plants and tends a garden outside. 

While I can't quite remember every bit and piece of this book, I remember how it made me feel. It made me feel entirely self-sufficient. I felt like I too could go find a cottage and fix it up and create a garden. In fact, I'm pretty sure I made my mom give me a little spot of yard to try gardening in because of this book. (I was a terrible gardener.)

Although it's been years and years since I've read Mandy, I still find myself thinking about it at the oddest times. It'll pop into my head and make me smile. 

I would recommend this book to readers who prefer little adventures and realistic narratives. It's an old-fashioned book (it was published in 1971), so there are no cell phones, and I can't even remember there being regular phones or TVs, although they might make minor appearances. It's just a great, charming novel with a happy ending.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t