Skip to main content

Teach Me Something New



For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, I decided to look at books which I would want to put in my curriculum if I end up teaching high school English (it's what my original degree is in after all). Sometimes I'm reading a book, and I'm like this book makes me wish I was a teacher again. And this week's TTT is going to feature ten of those.


The Port Chicago 50: Apparently I only gave this book four stars? WHAT WAS I THINKING, PAST-ME?? This book is incredible. It may also have some flaws, but the great thing about teaching is you get to point out both good and bad parts.


The Book Thief: I know that The Diary of Anne Frank is typically taught as the "WWII" book, but my question is why can't we have more than one? I mean, I did get a little burned out on WWII when I was in school because I felt that it was the only war we learned about. Obviously it was atrocious, and we do need to learn about to see what can happen when we don't question those in power (although WWII is not the only case where that has occurred). But this book is so beautifully and interestingly written, and I think that students could really connect with it. I know that some teachers are already using it--I just hadn't seen it used when I was going through the program and student teaching.


American Born Chinese: I know this book is being used in lots of classrooms now, but it's one that I hadn't even heard of before I started working in a bookstore. And I think it's being used often because it's worth teaching. It really encompasses the feeling of being an outsider which is something every one can connect with whether they are a "minority" or not. I also think it's important to include diverse books in the curriculum, and I think using graphic novels creates another entry point for students.

Locomotion: While some people might argue that the reading level for this is below high school, I'd argue that there are a lot of people not at high school reading level who are in high school. I also think this story is not restricted by age. It'd be a phenomenal book to use alongside a poetry unit to teach poem forms.


Persepolis: Another nonfiction book, but this one is a memoir and a graphic novel. It's also by an Iranian woman which is a viewpoint rarely represented in high school texts.


Monster: I know this one is also used in schools, but it wasn't in my schooling or program. I definitely think it should be. It's writing style is attention catching (part journal, part screenplay). The story is scarily relevant to today's society (11 years after it was published). It would provide a lot of discussion.


Never Fall Down: Although this is called "a novel", it's much closer to being a memoir. It's based on true facts, but McCormick occasionally took some artistic license to recreate conversations which Arn Chorn-Pond couldn't quite recall. It also talks about a subject that's rarely broached in average high school history classrooms : The Cambodian Genocide of 1975-1979 and the labor camps of the Khmer Rouge.


Nothing but the Truth: Another non-traditional writing style. This book would be great for talking about spread of information. It's a look at media studies and interpretation without really involving current media. It'd be a great unit to read alongside looking at advertising and popular culture and news and biases.


The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation: This book would be a tricky one to teach. It touches on a lot of important but sensitive subjects: racism, sexism, and slavery to name a few. But I also think it could be really beneficial to have students read and talk about it.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian: I actually did teach this one while I was student teaching, and let me tell you, I cannot explain how awkward and hilarious it is to say the word boner 23 times in one class period. But I do honestly think it's an important and necessary narrative to share. It would be interesting to do this alongside American Born Chinese for comparisons of the dangers of stereotyping (whether negative or positive portrayals).

What about you lovelies? Do I have any teachers out there who would agree with me? Or horrified by my choices? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...