Skip to main content

Not Made of Glass


Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is a stellar fantasy novel and an exciting series starter. 

Celaena was the country's top assassin. But she made a mistake, and now she's wishing for death in the brutal salt mines at Endovier. Until she's dragged out to meet the Crown Prince. Turns out the King is hosting a competition to find his next champion. Out of spite, the Prince wants to submit Celaena as his own contestant. If Celaena agrees, Prince Dorian agrees to release her after four years of being the King's Champion. Celaena can't refuse the temptation of freedom. But now she has to endure fighting thirteen other champions and the presence of Prince Dorian and the Captain of the Guard Chaol. Then something starts killing champions. 

I really enjoyed this book! I started reading it at the same time as Graceling, and I was struck by the similarities between the two (although they're really quite different). Throne of Glass (unlike Graceling) captured my attention right away. I was reading it on my Kindle during my commute, otherwise I probably would have finished it in one sitting. 

Maas does an excellent job at building character relationships. Even though the competition should have been the driving force behind the book, I was way less worried about finding out what each new task was and more interested in the characters. Maas also seems to realize her strength in that sense as she doesn't spend more time than necessary talking about the tasks but focuses on the relationships building between different characters. She's also fantastic at building up mystery in the background. I was never entirely sure who was at fault and who was simply a pawn. 

I can't wait to continue reading the series. I would recommend it to all fantasy lovers (but especially those who love strong female characters). 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...