Skip to main content

I've been trying to think of a way to describe my feelings for Rainbow Rowell's Landline for literally hours. And I just...can't. Every thing I write seems insufficient to explain my feelings for the book. So I'm going to try something a bit different for this review. This is gonna get a little personal.

Dear Rainbow Rowell,

It's been a year. One year, more or less exactly, since I read Eleanor & Park -- the first book of yours that I read. I had recently been let go from a job which I didn't adore, but I'd been hoping to work at for at least two years, and I was working an extremely part-time minimum wage job. Eleanor & Park made me like life again. It was five months until I read another one of your books. I had found a full time job which I adored, but it was Christmas / New Year's time, and I was spending it all away from my family for the first time in my life. I'd received a copy of Fangirl for Christmas (which I was ecstatic about) and I decided to start reading it. Fangirl reminded me of all the different paths life can take, and that I'm not alone in keeping up on online activities which I'm sure my parents thought I would leave behind in high school. It reminded me that I happiness might come from weird sources, but as long as I'm happy it shouldn't matter. I read Attachments in May. It reminded me that some people take their time to find love, and that it's okay if I'm one of them. Maybe someone's loving me from afar (which is not as good as loving me from up close in my opinion, but it still makes me feel better about myself).

And now Landline. I've been feeling really terrible about life lately. Yes, I got into my only choice for graduate programs, but I'm trying to move from Montana to Massachusetts, and it's really hard. And I'm living alone at the moment which I only enjoy so much. And I'm still single. And I wanted so badly for this year to be better than the year before. But I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not going anywhere in life. And Landline just came at a perfect time. I felt Georgie's discontent and her confusion. How do you figure out where you went wrong in life when it just seems to be a perpetual downward slide? And how do you make sure that the people you love know you love them? And how do you live without someone you love (or someone to love)?

I just feel like your books save me from myself every time. You are my favorite author. And I think that's why it took me almost a year to read your three books before Landline. I knew I could only read them for the first time once. They've all taken spots on my favorites shelf, so they'll be reread and recommended and loved. But first reads are always a little bit different than rereads, aren't they? So thank you for Landline. And for everything else you've written and will write.

Forever Grateful,
Hayley

TL;DR Landline is amazing and fantastic and you should all read it.

Favorite Quotes: "Don't pigeonhole me, Georgie. I'm infinite."
"I always knew you were you."
"You don't know what it really means to crawl into someone else's life and stay there. You can't see all the ways you're going to get tangled, how you're going to bond skin to skin. How the idea of separating will feel in five years, in ten--in fifteen. When Georgie thought about divorce now, she imagined lying side by side with Neal on two operating tables while a team of doctors tried to unthread their vascular systems."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t