Skip to main content

Allegiant by Veronica Roth


Allegiant is the concluding novel in the Divergent triology. Therefore, there will be some spoilers in my review. Actually, there will be a lot of spoilers in this review. Because I have a lot of feelings and a lot of things to say. So skip to the end if you don't want any spoilers.

I'm actually not entirely sure how I felt about Allegiant. Like Roth threw a major curveball in this novel, and it's been almost 24 hours since I finished it, and I'm still not sure how I felt about it.

So in Allegiant, we find out that this entire world we've grown to love in Divergent and Insurgent is a total lie. It's a genetic purity experiment. And I guess part of my problem with this curveball is that I don't think that's how it would go. On one hand, it reminded me of Haddix's Running Out of Time where the main character also finds out her world's a lie (which I LOVE. That book is one of my favorites from my youth). On the other hand though, I just don't think it's realistic. I think that people are not as good as that. I think it would end up being a lot more like the Holocaust again. Which I guess Roth does imply sort of happens--we decimate our population down to nothing before they start these experiments. But frankly, I think Tris is right in thinking that genetics doesn't explain behavior.

As to the ending, I actually rather liked it. Don't get me wrong, I cried so much. I hate when love is broken by circumstances outside of their own control. It was very upsetting, but it was so in character. Tris loves people around her. She wants to demonstrate her love in a tangible way. And she's someone who can think of the big picture outside of her own life. It's tragic but also wonderful. I really appreciate Roth's blogpost on the matter. I think even if you don't like the ending, you can appreciate what Roth was attempting to do.

My favorite quote:
I wonder if this is how it is with all evil men, that to someone, they look just like good men, talk like good men, are just as likeable as good men.

TL;DR
Over all, I appreciated the ending to the series, although I still feel a little ambivalent about the third book in general. Rating of three cupcakes!


Have any of you read Allegiant? What did you think of it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t