Skip to main content

Hello lovelies!

As usual Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Favorite New Authors of 2013. I'm taking that to mean author's I've read this year which I'd never read before, so most of these people have been around for a while, I just hadn't really gotten to them before this year.




Sara Shepard: She's been around for a few years now, but I just started reading her Pretty Little Liars series this year. They're so good! I just want to sit and read through all of them at once, but I'm trying to intensify the mystery by not allowing myself to do that. It's really really hard though. I'm on the 3rd one Perfect and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Rainbow Rowell: Anyone who can do this list and not put Rainbow down either read Attachments when it came out last year or has yet to read anything by her. She is a phenomenal writer, and I'm so excited to keep working my way through her books. 

Gene Luen Yang: I can't believe it's taken me this long to read American Born Chinese. I'm pretty privileged to be a white girl growing up in Montana, and this book reminded me of how it feels to be different. I think people sometimes look down on graphic novels, but I find it more difficult in a lot of ways from a writing standpoint because all you write is dialogue--you have to demonstrate the rest through the art itself, and Yang does a phenomenal job of really making an important story shine. 



Erin Morgenstern: She's not marketed as a young adult author, but her book The Night Circus can be enjoyed by readers of about 14 and up. It's a fantastic tale and she really created an amazing world in the circus. I would really recommend reading it.

Jay Asher: Thirteen Reasons Why left me actually speechless. I cried. I wanted to share it with everyone. It's so relevant as to how the "tiniest" of things can really build up and create a wave. It's the whole idea of every drop fills the bucket, but in a completely heart-wrenchingly depressing way. I just got The Future of Us, so I'm excited to see what else Asher has in store.

Allie Brosh : Hyperbole and a Half has been around the internet for a while now, but Brosh just released a collection of her amazing comics and paper form. I really only began seeing her comics online this year, and when the book came out, I bought it on its release date, which hasn't happened in a while. It was well worth it. I find Brosh's ability to connect sadness and humor outstanding. Definitely check out the link on her name which leads to her blog. It's well worth a little visit. Of several hours.


Honestly it was a little hard for me to come up with 10 new authors this year, so some of  these last 4 (okay 5, whatever) are maybe not my favorite or they write actual children's books (which I read fairly consistently for work). 

Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl: I read Beautiful Creatures earlier this year before the movie came out. I enjoyed it, but I didn't feel the need to go get the sequel immediately. I do have it on hold at my work and will likely read it eventually, but I just wasn't enthralled by the story. It was interesting, and I'm intrigued to see where it's headed.

Karma Wilson: (and frankly Jane Chapman) Karma writes and Jane illustrates a series of children books about a group of woodland friends. Bear Snores On might be my favorite.  If you have any little people to read with or give a book to, I would definitely recommend this series.

Holly Hobbie: Toot and Puddle are the cutest books! This is another kids series, but it is well worth the read. They also apparently have a show but I love the books so much.

Jillian Larkin: I read Vixen earlier this year, and I enjoyed it, but I haven't quite gotten to the rest of the series yet. They are on my to be read list, hopefully soon! 

Have you read any of these authors? Which authors are on your list? Let me know in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...