Skip to main content

Book Review: James Dashner's The Kill Order



Summary: This prequel to the Maze Runner starts in a world already destroyed by Sun Flares. Mark and Trina are two teenagers who have survived the unthinkable: the destruction of Earth as we know it. However, just when societies are beginning to reform and people are starting to live again, their camp is attacked by a ship. They shoot darts at their community and leave. But Mark and his mentor, Alec, aren't quite so ready to let the attack go. They need to find out what's happening and why.

My Review: I liked The Kill Order better than the last two books of the Maze Runner series, but I don't think that I actually liked it over all. I ended up having to sticky note problem spots in the book for me because I was getting so annoyed. The middle section of the book is covered in orange sticky notes.

The beginning wasn't terrible. I mean, Dashner has a fixation on making boy/girl couples as the main focus of his novel and ignoring most other relationships, but I was willing to admit that that is pretty typical of YA novels and move on.

But the most annoying thing that Dashner does in my mind is say one thing and then show another. Like he says several times how smart Trina and Lana (the other female character at the beginning of the novel) are, but then when a fire breaks out in the forest, (of course when they've split into the two boys together on a mission and the two girls waiting back at camp) Mark and Alec freak out and are like we have to get back to the girls! Like the sticky note I wrote literally says "WTF James. They're not scared deer entranced by oncoming headlights. They're intelligent women. They're going to move away from the flames." DUH.

BUT THEN. It takes Mark and Alec 12 pages to reach this conclusion. LIKE WHAT. HOW. URGHHHHHHHHH.

Then when they're still supposedly freaking out about Trina and Lana and Deedee (the little girl they pick up out of nowhere) running away from the fire, Alec makes a joke about being "all man". It is so incredibly out of place and distasteful that I literally had to stop reading. There are other descriptive moments where Dashner will say "It was a woman." And it's so irrelevant to anything else. It's very frustrating. How much daily sexism can you put in a novel without someone asking you to stop? Did no one else see these moments when they were reading??

And frankly, let's talk about Mark and Trina's "relationship" for a minute. Mark says that they've been friends by circumstance. They lived next door to each other growing up, so it kind of just happened. But Mark has always had a crush on Trina (and it takes the world ending for her to notice him, how not cliched at all). But the entire book is about Mark trying to get back to wherever Trina is. And it isn't shown in a healthy way. There are huge codependency issues through out the novel. Mark mentions several times that without Trina he doesn't want to keep living. Which is the typical melodramatic statement found in these situations, but because Dashner doesn't really describe their relationship from both ends, it just comes across as really sad and scary. I don't particularly want to have my little brother read this and think it's the right way to approach life.

Also Dashner repeatedly references "talking like a soldier" but in very strange instances. For example, at one point, after being told that their situation is risky, Mark replies, "But they have our friends," and Alec (who is a veteran soldier) replies "Said like a true soldier." Whaaaaa?? Isn't that just said like a true friend?? How is that "like a soldier" at all?

I also have some questions about Dashner's story of the sun flares. Like I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a certain amount, but I at some point, I always end up questioning what's happening. In this book, it was when the Sun Flares came down and then within a few hours, the subway in Manhattan was flooding with hot water?? That makes no sense. And then everyone around them starts dying immediately? Water itself isn't detrimental to people.

I did like the end. I think that in a lot of ways the Flare is the more possible route of a zombie apocalypse. I really enjoy zombie apocalypse theories and when the action picks up at the end with people dying left and right, Dashner doesn't have as much plot to annoy me with. I guess. That's the only thing I can think of.

Overall, readable but not my next die-for series. I also wouldn't necessarily call it a prequel to The Maze Runner. Like they tie it in with about five pages of text total, but it certainly isn't presented that way throughout the book.

Have you read The Kill Order? Let me know what you think in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t