Skip to main content

What's going to be next?


Hello Lovelies!

Today I wanted to talk about something that I've recently spend a lot of time thinking about. In my classes, we often discuss the "future" of young adult books and, less frequently, of children's books.

Of course as someone interested in going into publishing this is a hugely important topic. What's going to be the next big trend? What kind of books will sell really well? The last decade or so has been ruled by Fantasy and Sci-Fi (except for a few exceptions, thanks John Green). There were the magical boarding schools (what's up HP?), the vampire romances (lookin' at you Twilight), the dystopian futures (Hunger Games and more recently Divergent); so what is going to be next?

Well, publishers are predicting an uprise in Contemporary Romances, thanks again to John Green, but with a side effect of Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park. They expect books about loss (the TFIOS effect, as I like to call it) to sell well. And "quirky" books to be a trend. Retellings have recently been a big deal, and that's supposed to continue. 

But from the perspective of a book blogger and a devout reader, I hate talking about the "future" of young adult books. Here's why.

1. No one ever talks about the "future" of adult books. It's considered obvious that there will always be a platform for books in adult genres. I mean, crappy adult books get published. Some of them do very well and some of them do not, but it is never about whether the genre/style/narrative/whatever is on trend or not. Adult books are separated by genre regardless. And publishers, theoretically, will publish a good book for that genre regardless of whether historical fiction is on the rise or not.

2. Good books will always sell!! I know some of you are thinking, Hayley, you cannot possibly say that after [insert book mention here]. But I can. And I will. I'll be honest, and say, I loved Twilight when it came out. I devoured those books. And if you've read my reviews you'll know that I hated The Maze Runner books. But both of those books still sell well. And better, less well-known, less "on-trend" books might sell slower, but they will sell. 

3. People find their books. It might take a while. But it'll happen. I have even more faith of this since joining the book blogging world. But when I read amazing books, I now have a place, a community to share them with. Before, I would tell a few friends, maybe post a Facebook status, but becoming a book blogger has made me more of a book sales person than ever! I leave comments on other blogs, and I tell people on Goodreads, and I tell people on Tumblr. I talk to my classmates. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm talking to people at stores about random books yet, but I can feel it coming. I did recommend Jandy Nelson's books to a random mom at Boston Book Festival. Because if it's good, if I like it, I want to share it.

4. Which brings me to my final point. Everybody likes different books!! The whole concept of saying there's a "future" of young adult books relegates every young adult to one taste in books. Which is hysterically incorrect. I mean, even looking at movies and television, high school is typically represented as a land full of cliques: the popular kids, the jocks, the nerds, the band geeks, the goth kids, the outcasts, etc. etc. Now, I know from personal experience that most schools aren't that neatly boxed into categories, but I also know that every teenager has different tastes. And it's completely ridiculous to think that they'll all love the same book. 

Unless it's Harry Potter.

(Just Kidding.)

(But seriously, I am so confused by people who don't like Harry Potter.)

Anyway, what do you think about the "future" of young adult publishing? Or kid's publishing? Or book publishing? Leave me a note in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts,