Thursday, April 9, 2015

TBT: 1984


I didn't read this classic in high school, but I tackled it in college, and I'm so glad I did.


1984 (or Nineteen Eighty-Four) by George Orwell is a futuristic dystopian. It's a difficult little book. It presents many concepts that are hard to understand and wrap your head around because it features a lot of contradictory ideas and phrases.

I didn't enjoy it at first, but I kept pushing through. Sometimes classics aren't very enjoyable until the end. And about two-thirds of the way through this one, I finally liked it. And I liked it a lot. 

It's been a few years, and I'd sort of like to re-read it. It's difficult to decide to reread classics though because they typically are more difficult and time-consuming to read. 

I would recommend this to people who enjoy dystopians and don't mind slow building books that are a little difficult to follow.




2 comments:

  1. I've read 1984 two or three times now, and I think it gets easier on re-reading. (It probably helps there were a few years between reading, too, and I like to think my ability as a reader has grown!) I was actually struck the most recent time I read it about how I actually thought it was more boring this time around, though. I guess I hadn't really picked up on the long propaganda inserts the first time, or else sincerely though they were interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the propaganda is more interesting when you haven't realized how much occurs in real life! I remember thinking it was super boring for the first half or so , and then I got into it. But I also feel like it's something I reference constantly.

      Delete