Skip to main content

Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher is an interesting look at life as a teenage girl with a terrible secret. I can't quite decide how I feel about it though. I'm going to try to keep this review spoiler-free, but if I change my mind I'll make it clear.

There were several things I really liked about this book. First of all, I'm pretty sure they come from a mixed race family. Which the cover (of course) doesn't really indicate, but a passage on the second page of the book, does indicate. Or at least I read it that way.

Also, Zoe's (the main character's)  sister is deaf. She signs through out the whole book. I love that Pitcher included a character with a hearing disability and didn't neglect them. I think it would be easy to be like "oh this person has a hearing disability so they don't talk a lot." Dot is six years old. She talks all the time! She's your typical six year old--she gets into things, she has a lot of questions, she runs around the place causing ruckus--she just does it all without hearing anything and with sign language.

That leads me to the other part I loved about this book. Zoe's family is so fleshed out and realistic. Dot's the youngest and cannot hear. Soph's the middle child and hates the attention that their mom gives Dot. A lot of the time, Soph refuses to sign, even though she knows how to, because she's jealous of the constant attention Dot gets, which Dot gets in part because she's the youngest and in part because she is deaf. Zoe's mom is a little bit neurotic. She's a stay at home mom, and she tends to harp on her daughters about everything. She cleans the house a lot. And Zoe's dad is light-hearted but serious. He balances out her mom in a lot of ways.

Although it drove me crazy at times, I also really liked how the book was set-up. Zoe's writing to a prisoner in Texas who's on death row. She tends to start out her letters by writing about what's happening now. Then she revisits the year before: all the events that led up the big life-changing event that's caused her to write to him.

I really like Pitcher's writing style in general, actually. She gives details but not too many details. She floats lines in that are truly beautiful but follows them up with something I can hear myself saying in high school.

Things I didn't like about this book are fewer, but in a lot of ways, bigger deals.

I'm not particularly fond of the love triangle in this book. It's not inaccurate or useless (see my post here on those) but it's just unfortunate. Zoe knows the choices that she's making are not good choices, and she makes them anyway. That's really accurate for life, but that doesn't mean it's exactly what I want in my books.

This is not a spoiler, but I did not like the ending.

Overall, I think Ketchup Clouds is really worth reading, but it hasn't jumped to my favorites list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t