Skip to main content

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead is the story of a dhampir (or Guardian) and her Moroi (full Vampire) best friend. Rose is protecting Vasilisa in the outside world when they're caught and hauled back to the school they ran away from: St. Vladimir (located in  the wilds of Montana! haha). Their return to the school doesn't go as smoothly as they would like.

To be honest, I'd heard of these books when they came out but hadn't taken the time to read them. When I saw the commercial for the movie, I decided it was time to pick up a copy and read it. I've always been a read it before I see it when I can girl. To my shock, I found a copy of it on my shelf when I was looking for a different book, so I started reading it as my first "old" book of 2014. 

I was surprised to find that I really really liked it! My copy is an early edition--at least, I'm hoping it is because there is a ridiculous amount of errors in it (bad copy editor bad!) which distracted me from the reading. However, the story was entertaining, and I kept wondering what would happen next.

The first 30-40 pages is a bit of an info-dump, but Mead manages to keep it entwined with the plot enough that it wasn't overwhelming. I actually was drawn into the universe pretty easily. Mead's explanations make the world real and believable. It wasn't overly complicated, but there were enough layers to it to mimic the real world. 

I did have a couple problems with the book. One, it treats rape culture pretty lightly. There isn't a rape that occurs in the book, but there are several instances where it's about to happen. I don't like that. It didn't seem necessary. But it also wasn't inexcusable. I just wish Mead would have come down harder on the side of no rape is not okay. 

My other problem is much lighter. It's kind of misleading to say the wilds of Montana because Montana is a big place, and I originally was thinking like mid-state which doesn't really have 'wilds' in the forest way, but then you find out they're a couple hours from "Missoula" which makes slightly more sense. But then she says Macy is in the Missoula mall which it isn't, and as far as I know, it never has been, so that created a bit of a disconnect for me since I live there. 

However, I'm really excited to continue in the series! I can't wait to find out what happens next. And see the movie in February!

Favorite Quote: "If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t