Skip to main content

Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC of this copy with the understanding that it would not influence my opinion or review of it at all. These are my real thoughts on the book.

The Wednesday Daughters by Meg Waite Clayton is an interesting look at the relationships forged through a lifetime and what happens to them when the people involved are recovering from losses.

I received an ARC of this through GoodReads probably almost a year ago now. (I am the worst! I shouldn't ever ask for ARCs because it takes me so long to read them.) I've been making my way through it for about two months -- it's kind of been a book that's been hanging around in my bedroom for when I have a couple minutes to read (it's got pretty short chapters for the most part, so it was handy to have to read there). I finally finished it last night. 

I really wasn't sure how I felt about this book in the beginning. On the one hand, it had mostly female characters including a mixed-race main character (who felt very awkward about being mixed-race for the most part). It takes place in England which is pretty cool. But it also takes place after the death of Hope's mother. So it's all very sad and everyone's grieving in their own ways. And that was hard to jump right in to. Also Beatrix Potter plays a large part which I kind of had to adjust to because it's been so many years since I've read any Beatrix Potter books. 

Eventually though, I thought this story truly bloomed into something lovely. As the characters recognize their own faults and flaws, I think you get a good understanding of how major loss changes people and their priorities. Clayton really shows how people grow and change with the challenges of life. I didn't read the Wednesday Sisters (which is sort of the first book) so I'd be interested to see how that changed my opinion, but over all I thought it was beautifully written. I think it'll be a sure sell for people who like slow build stories with very well-written female friendships.

Favorite Quotes: "If there is no end of failure, I said, then perhaps there might be no end of success, too, if you just go on about putting words to paper? / If there is no end of failure, Allison, Bea said, success must b the act of putting words to paper as best we can."
"Family history is little more than expectation to be overcome [...] A straitjacket of limitations on who we otherwise might be."
"We can't help who our parents are [...] We can't help that we love them--I can't and you can't and we shouldn't, even when we hate what they do. But we aren't them."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...