Skip to main content

Hello Lovelies!

It's Tuesday again, and The Broke and the Bookish's prompt for this week is Top Ten Books About Friendship.

I'm not going to lie. I had a hard time this week. I could think of one, no problem, but the rest, I really had to scour my bookshelves (both digitallly and physically) to come up with some answers. 

So in countdown style (from hardest to think of to the biggest duh)...

10. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld: Now I might not be super enthusiastic about the rest of the series, but I can't deny that Shay and Tally's friendship starts off super strong. Tally follows Shay into the wild world alone. That seems like a pretty strong foundation for friendship. 

9. The Selection by Kiera Cass: I really enjoyed America and Marlee's friendship. I wish they'd been more open with each other, but I think it's obvious that they care for and support each other.

8. Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery: Paloma and Ozu are darling friends even with their huge age difference.

7. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry: Annemarie and Ellen are a pretty fantastic standard for friendship. I mean, how many friends can you count on to hide you from Nazis?

6. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince has many friends through out his travels, but I think I appreciate his friendship with the pilot the most. 

5. Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls: Oh god, this book killed me in my childhood. But it gives the best descriptions of childhood friendship between owner and pet that I've ever read.

4. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman: Lyra spends most of the book chasing after her kidnapped best friend Roger. If that's not a strong friendship, I don't know what is. 

3. Toot & Puddle by Holly Hobbie: Every single Toot & Puddle book focuses on how strong their friendship is. It's strong enough for one to go traveling without the other, it's strong enough to find a birthday present when it seems like there isn't one left, and it's strong enough to make one friend go out and find the other. 

2. Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce (particularly Sandry's Book): This series is all about four friends bonding together and strengthening their own power and self-confidence through the friendships they create with each other. 

1. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling : I pretty much assume if this isn't on your list, you never read it. Or you're trying to be original. Either way, Harry Potter is entirely about friendship. And that's part of why it's my favorite series. 

So what books are on your list, lovelies?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...