Skip to main content

CINDER!!!!

OMG CINDER!!

Seriously guys. Marissa Meye's Cinder is so good. I realize I'm like a trillion years behind on this band wagon (or like two years but that's like a trillion in book land), but if you're like me and you haven't read this one yet, get on it! This is a fantastic retelling of Cinderella, but it's also so much more than that. Let me break it down for you.

1. This is a four book set and although each book appears to focus on a different character, it doesn't leave the other characters behind. In fact, Cinder's story isn't finished in the first book.

2. This definitely veers sci-fi over fantasy. I guess the cyborg part should have given that a way, but I was still struck by how sci-fi it was. Cause I usually don't read much sci-fi, but this one is amazing.

3. This is set in the future in New Beijing. And although Meyer doesn't come out and say it, I think it's pretty safe to say that all (or most) of the characters are Asian (and I say Asian intentionally because the world has narrowed down to 7 countries: the United Kingdom, the European Federation, the African Union, the American Republic, Australia and the Commonwealth of Asia.

Let me point out to all you wonderful fan artists out there that I would love to see some with actual Asian characters!! It'd be sweet.

4. Meyer's writing pulls you in. I didn't make any notations of specific quotes, but that's because I was entirely engrossed by the story line. It just grabbed me and I had to hit the ground running with it. I literally finished this book within 24 hours because I couldn't put it down.

Overall, this book is so good. I've already started Scarlet and I can't wait to read Cress and Winter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu...

Give Me a Little Love

Hello Lovelies!! Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes.  1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes.  2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!! 3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door o...

Oops I Didn't Catch Them All

Hello Lovelies! Another Top Ten Tuesday? On Tuesday? It's almost like it's Winter Break still or something.  This week's theme is... Top Ten 2014 Debuts I Missed Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs:  This novel about a young girl attending a gifted and talented camp seemed to drift under the radar, but I still want to read it.  Avalon by Mindee Arnett : A sci-fi novel that got a lot of press pre-release, but didn't make a big splash afterwards. I want to know if it's as Firefly-esque as the comparisons that were made. Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot: Jamie  really liked this one, and it sounds like a good read! Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang: Multiple perspectives and a heart-wrenching storyline--seems right up my alley. Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid: Most people I know who read this loved it. I just didn't get around to it. Far From You by Tess Sharpe: I saw this on a lot of GLBTQ positive posts, ...