Skip to main content

#bookloverproblems



Hello Lovelies!

Today's Top Ten Tuesday (as always brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish) looks at the problems of loving books.  So here are my top ten book related problems.

1. Space!! I have four tubs of books at my parents house, just chillin. And I have eight boxes of books which my mom is supposed to be shipping to me, but six months later, it still hasn't happened. But I only have one small book shelf anyway, so I don't know where I would put them!

2. Physical copies vs. E-books. I love phsyical books. Like more than anything else in the entire world, I love books. But ebooks have the benefit of being immediately accessible and not taking up any space. So I love renting them from the library, but I kind of hate paying for them myself. Like if I'm going to spend money on something, I kind of want to be able to hold it in my own two hands. But if you get a book and then decide later you don't need or want a copy, they can be really hard to get rid of. Sometimes you can sell them to used books stores for a quarter (or less!) of what you payed for them, or you have to donate them somewhere. Libraries might not want them, schools might not want them, goodwill stores might not want them. Sometimes it gets tricky.

3. Falling completely in love with a fictional character. Like yes, I know they aren't real, but my heart sure feels like they are.

4. Reaching the end of a series. You fall so far into the world and love it so much, and then you finish the stories available. And yes, you can go back and reread, but there's no new material. It's hard to reach that point.

5. Getting ARCs. Don't get me wrong! I love love love being given the opportunity to read a book early. And I only request books that I have a sincere interest in reading. But sometimes when I get them, I'm in the middle of another book, so I have to finish that. And then I need to read for school. And then I just have to read another book for my book club. Or whatever. And then suddenly it's been forever, and I still haven't read the ARC! Personal guilt trip zone. I hate reaching that point. Although alternatively...

6. Not getting ARCs. You see a book that you've been waiting for ages and ages to be released. The next book by your favorite author. Or the next book in an amazing series. Or a debut that just sounds so much like a "you" book, and you request it, and you're *gasp* denied! It's so hard to be like, it's not about me, they only have so many copies, you can read it eventually. I usually want to accuse all the people who got it of being unworthy and not being capable of reading it on time, and all sorts of other stupid stuff in my head. I just have to remind myself that they love books too, and just because I don't get to read it early, doesn't mean I won't get to read it.

7. Money. No one wants to have to say this, but funds get tricky when you love books and also have to live (especially when you're in college of any level or working a minimum wage job). There are so many authors I want to support, but also so many new authors I want to try, and I definitely cannot afford all the books I would like to buy. So it's a constant question of do I buy this book or that book? Do I use my library or do I invest? I try to make it all work out, but sometimes it hurts my heart to have to say, I can't buy this book right now.

8. What to read next??? I always have like a dozen series in progress, and a stack of TBRs waiting to BR, but it's always a little tricky to decide on what I should read next. Sometimes I'll start a book, and be like, I know I'm going to like this, but I'm not liking it right now. And I'll have to set it down and come back to it.

9. Who to talk to?? I basically started this blog because I didn't have enough people to talk to about books I loved. Sometimes, you read a book, and you tell everyone you know in real life about it, but nobody has read it or will read it. So you just have to find another outlet for book loving.

10. Papercuts! This seems totally silly, but I can't count how many times I've accidentally given myself a papercut when I'm reading. I get too into the story and start reading too fast and blam! Papercut. #bookloverproblems

What about you lovelies? What problems do you encounter with books? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. "Who to talk to" would also be a problem I have after finishing a fantastic (or absolutely horrible) book. I'm thankful for book clubs in that sense :)

    My TTT

    - Maggie @ macarons & paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the space problem. I mostly keep my books at my parents place, because there is no way I can fit them all in my small apartment.
    Also, I prefer physical copies of books as well as you do. Still, e-books fixes a little bit of the space and money problem for me, so to be able to read as many books as I want I kind of have to purchase some e-books as well :) It's also nice to have when I'm going to China for 6 months this year... I couldn't possibly fit a sufficient amount of books in my suitcase. Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list of book related problems!! Here's a link to my TTT for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-ten-book-related.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t