Skip to main content

Welcome to Saturday Morning!

Hello Lovelies!!

I'm working on a new feature for Saturdays that will focus on Children's Picture Books.

(I have two classes devoted solely to picture books this semester, and I need a place to put my love for books we don't read for class!!)

So today's Saturday Morning choice is...


Hug Machine by Scott Campbell is the delightfully illustrated tale of a little person who loves to hug. 

The Hug Machine will hug everything and everyone. There are no limits to his love of hugs! 

I think this book is super darling. In some ways, it's about hugging (and also loving) people who don't get hugged a lot (a whale and a porcupine both ask for hugs). It would be a great book to talk about showing affection for love. 

However, I do think that this book also asks for a conversation about getting permission before touching. Most of the people (and inanimate objects, of course) aren't asked for permission before being hugged. And the expressions on a lot of the faces aren't super happy. So I would definitely discuss the fact that you need to ask permission before touching someone, even if it's a hug. And if someone says no to hug, then that's okay too. 

Overall, I'm going to give this book 4 cupcakes, because I adore the illustrations and while the story line is pretty short, it's very cute. I would give it 5 cupcakes, but I do worry that it encourages kids to hug without checking first, and while most people probably won't be bothered by that, it's important to recognize that there are those who will be.




Comments

  1. This book popped up on Book Depot a couple weeks ago and I ordered it in like two seconds. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I found it at a used bookstore here, and I was like, how could anyone give this little guy up??

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t