Skip to main content

Give Me a Little Love


Hello Lovelies!!

Today we're going to talk about love and romance in books This is going to be kind of tricky for me because while I love book romances (see what I did there?), I have a hard time articulating things I like and don't like about them. So I think I'm going to split this into two categories: likes and dislikes. 

1. Love: Slow-builds. Give me all the scenes where they gently flirt, and smile at each other, and watch each other out of the corner of their eyes. 

2. Hate: Moving too quickly. I understand there are only so many pages, and a lot of other things need to happen, but if they met yesterday and they're getting married or exchanging I love yous, it's moving too fast for me. Build in some time!!

3. Love: Meet-cutes! I know lots of people will be like, but how can you love both slow-builds and meet-cutes, and to them, I say, BECAUSE I CAN. But really, if you bump into each other while holding hot coffee, or hold the subway door open for one another, or realize that you keep seeing each other in the weirdest places (grocery store, gym, the street, I don't care where, honestly), and it ends in love, I'm all about that shit. FYI: My grandparents met because my grandpa asked my grandma if she liked his car at a drive-in. Like real life meet-cute, am I right?

4. Hate: Needing the relationship to complete the book. Like obviously, if it's a book about the relationship itself, I'm not going to hate that. I know that going in. But it it's a kickass story about a woman cop whose hunting down a serial killer, I don't want the romance to become the overwhelming story line. I don't want my murder mystery to suddenly become all about how this girl wants this guy or vice versa.

5. Love: When book relationships give me that happy buoyant feeling in my veins. Like I read the dialogue and my heart skwees. That's the perfect relationship.

6. Hate: Forced dialogue. If you're trying to make them seem like the perfect couple that can complete each others' sentences (sandwiches!) I'm going to be turned off your book. Make it natural!

7. Love: Beyond average stories. I get so tired of the Nicholas Sparks-esque white man, white woman fall in love and get married, happily ever after crap. Like don't get me wrong, sometimes that's what you want to read and I'm glad those books are out there, but I also want more diversity in my love stories! I want to read about the girl who has a crush on a boy and a girl and they both like her back. I want to read about an angel who falls in love with a demon and stays in love with her for hundreds of years (lookin' at you, Laini Taylor, bless you). I want to read about worlds that reflect the diversity of real life.

8. Hate: Love triangles! I've ranted about love triangles before on my blog, and I'll surely rant about them again, but seriously. Get over it. You do not need a love triangle to have a plot. And if that's the basic plot of your story, I'm going to get real tired of it, real quick. ( I did enjoy The Selection, but again, that's like the definition of the plot on the cover. I knew what I was getting in to.)

9. Love: First kisses! Give me awkward first kisses. And shy first kisses. And kisses where you accidentally bump noses or knock each other's glasses off. Give me first kisses where someone's knees go weak. Where someone's brain just flatlines. Give me terrible drooly first kisses, and perfect tiny pecks. I seriously love every first kiss in every relationship. FIRST KISSES AHHHHHHHHHHH.

10. Hate: Romanticizing abuse. I really wanted to include this point with the 50 Shades of Grey movie coming out this weekend. It does not accurately reflect BDSM relationships, and it should not accurately reflect any relationship. I know that some people really loved it (maybe it was their first time reading something so risque), but it is a really awful depiction of a relationship, and frankly should never have been published. 

So there we go! My favorite and least favorite romantic tropes in books. What do you think, lovelies? Do any of these push your buttons too? Let me know in the comments! 

Comments

  1. Hehehe, I giggled at finishing each other's sandwiches! And awwww at your grandparents' meet-cute! I also love a slow-build romance, read one of those recently (Here's Looking at You by Mhairi McFarlane) and the pacing was perfect in that regard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec! I love hearing about good slow-builds :)

      Delete
  2. Your grandparents totally had a movie-worthy meet-cute! :) This is a great list, and I really appreciated the Frozen reference ;) - Maggie @ macarons & paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I enjoy Frozen, and that line just barely worked for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hello lovelies. I'm feeling super overwhelmed by life since I'm doing Camp Nanowrimo and trying to move and find a place to live 2600 miles away. So that's my excuse for missing last week. But now you get two weeks in a row. So this week's theme (hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish ) is... Top Ten Favorite Movies   (And I picked Scary Movies) I have a secret. Or I guess I had a secret. And that secret is that I love  scary movies. Like anything that plays on gross special effects or melting walls or sudden appearances--I'm totally down for it. (This has only back fired on me once--when I had a panic attack watching Saw 2--I don't wanna talk about it...) So in no particular order, movies that really impressed me with their scare factors: 1. Thir13een Ghosts -- there's this scene with a glass door that is ingrained in my brain.  2. Haunting in Conneticut -- aw man, this movie is sooo good. I actu

Why Should I Trust You?

Hello Lovelies!! It's my finals week, so I'm going to make this one quick.  This week's Top Ten Tuesday (by the Broke and the Bookish ) allows us to fill in the blank! So I will be bringing you... The Top Ten Books with Characters Who are Unreliable Narrators (AKA BIG OL' LIARS). I love unreliable narrators because you never know if they're actually being unreliable or not. Occasionally they tell the truth, but occasionally they lie. So here we go... 1. Nothing by Janne Teller 2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier 3. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman 4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta 5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout 6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 8. The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Many of these books feature the unreliable characters as side characters and not main charac

More Diversity in Your Book Diet

Hello Lovelies! As usual Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish . Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like X, and I'm going to go with... Top Ten Books for People Who Like Diversity Thanks to the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, diversity is having a resurgence in young adult and children's books. For the last couple years, I have been trying to read more books with diverse characters or by diverse authors. (Diverse in this respect includes race, sexuality, gender, and disability). I haven't endeavored to challenge myself to only read a certain type of book i.e. only those by women of color or anything that isn't by a white heterosexual male, but I try to be extra aware of the characters and ask myself if they actually are white (sometimes the text doesn't say it, sometimes people just assume it!) and if being white is necessary for the character or not.  But here are my top t